Wednesday 4 February 2009

The Hunt Begins

News of the recession and so-called 'credit crunch' has been easy to ignore as a student in London. Times have always been tough, only now we have to fight over those last few tins of beans in Asda. I'm already bathing in enough debt to last me a long time, my credit rating has been shot to tiny jagged pieces and those mystical things called 'mortgages' have never even been within grasp - the only effect felt from this recession is the loss of Woolworths' Pick 'N' Mix. 

Today I discovered that the job I had lined up for after my graduation this year has vanished. Been sucked up by an ex-public schoolboy who himself has never bathed in debt, but rather gold-encrusted droplets of a privileged lifestyle. Knocked out by a crippling blow of "we've changed our minds, we need someone in the London office everyday". I'm moving to Brighton, you see, something that we've been able to plan wonderfully and breezily with the knowledge of my future 'working from home'. Will I even have a home come the month of June?

The hunt for a job, or rather, a future, starts today. Or more likely tomorrow; a girl needs time to wallow in self pity with breaded mushrooms, butter soaked popcorn and that Bacardi that's been sitting on top of the fridge for five months. With news headlines declaring 'GRADUATES WOES: NO JOBS AVAILABLE' and 'IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A JOB NOW, YOU'RE SUCKERED', the upcoming months will be joyless and soul destroying. With the additional task of 24,000 words due in before the end of term, at least one industry can be safe in the knowledge of some boosted profits: I'm going to need a lot of coffee.

1 comment:

  1. Stiff upper-lip needed my dear. Or should I go around and sort out the ex-public school boy with concrete and a suitable river? I hope the coffee keeps you awake to write more, but that it gets brighter too. MF

    ReplyDelete